This book is packed full of fun nature activities that will help children engage with the season and learn practical new skills.
Activities for summer include growing and cooking fresh herbs, caring for butterflies, activities based around water, fire, earth and air, and working with grain and making bread.
The activities in this book are based on practical experience from the Children's Nature and Garden Centre in Germany, and are fully tried and tested. Illustrated in color.
C O N T E N T S:
• Working with Herbs
• The Herb Garden
• Raised Beds for Herbs
• Working with Herbs: Basic Skills
• Herb Recipes
• Breeding Butterflies
• Butterflies: a Symbol of Beauty
• Looking after Caterpillars
• A Butterfly's Favourite Places
• From Caterpillar to Butterfly
• Making a Butterfly Cage
• A Bridge to Lie on
• Ponds and Streams
• Water: Lessons for Life
• Conscious Listening
• Some Thoughts on Responsibility, Safety and Supervision
• From Grain to Bread
• Healthy Nourishment
• Give Us This Day Our Daily Bread
• Creating an Eating Culture
• From Whole Grain to Fine Flour: the Story of Grain
• Grain Recipes
• A Quick Reminder
• The Pancake Mill
Brigitte Walden, born 1953, worked as a teacher for fifteen years. For nine years, she has been a caregiver at Haus Hohenfried in Germany, a center for people with special needs.
Irmgard Kutsch, born 1952, trained as a vet before working with children with special needs. In 1994, she established the Children's Nature and Garden Centre in Reichshof, where children and teachers can learn about nature and participate in workshops.